Topic: Failing sync due to "FileWatcher (MAC/LINUX) ULIMIT reached"

(I posted this before but the message got lost??)
(edit: and then I posted it again but half of the message was deleted !?!)

After the recent upgrade to CloudMe 1.9.3 on Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10.5), the syncing on a large zotero subdirectory (100,000 files/directories) fails, with the log file containing many messages  like

2016-02-10 00:03:15: FileWatcher (MAC/LINUX) ULIMIT reached! <directoryname>
2016-02-10 00:03:15: Directory <directoryname> is not watched:  Too many file handles are already open (max is 2560).

This used to work fine, and many people seem to use CloudMe specifically for zotero (which can grow quite big).  Should I downgrade to the previous version, and if so, how?

BTW, the blue CloudMe icon is invisible in the menubar, but you can still click it.

Many thanks,
P

Last edited by plijnzaad (2016-02-10 13:34:12)

Re: Failing sync due to "FileWatcher (MAC/LINUX) ULIMIT reached"

You can change the number of files/folders the program can listen to, for example:
sudo launchctl limit maxfiles 1000000 1000000

Read more about it here:
http://superuser.com/questions/302754/increase-the-maximum-number-of-open-file-descriptors-in-snow-leopard

Thanks, but this used to work without any problem, and I hesitate to raise this limit.  Has the implementation changed? It's silly to watch 100,000 files (and growing) at the same time. I'd much rather revert to the previous version (and I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one with this problem).

Thanks,

P

We only listen to folders, not to files. The implementation has not changed in the way it listens to the filesystem.

We always use the latest SDK, so in this case we used the one in El Capitan.

Do you know which CloudMe Sync version you used before?

Hi Daniel,

>We only listen to folders, not to files.

That may be true (I only have ~ 1700 folders), but for some reason it tries to open pretty much all the files in a sync folder simultaneously (the smaller sync folders are no problem, the maximum total number of files is below 2560, the current open file ulimit.

> We always use the latest SDK, so in this case we used the one in El Capitan.

I'm still on Yosemite, woud that make a difference?

> Do you know which CloudMe Sync version you used before?

Uhm, not sure, the one that was on the CloudMe website last January (this is when I got my Macbook).

I guess I should try reinstalling it.

Last edited by plijnzaad (2016-02-11 16:32:30)